Coronavirus grants on Company Tax Returns 

Reporting coronavirus grants on your tax return

To ensure you have the latest information to complete your Company Tax Return (CT600) accurately please read the following information on how to include Coronavirus grants on company tax returns and in accounts.

Coronavirus grants and payments issued by HMRC to support businesses and self-employed individuals during the pandemic are taxable.

If you need to complete a Company Tax Return and claimed any of the following:

  • Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) grants,
  • Eat Out to Help Out (EOHO) payments or
  • any coronavirus support payments made by local authorities, devolved administrations or other public authorities

you’ll need to include them as income when calculating your taxable profits in the usual way.

More information on reporting coronavirus support payments is available on GOV.UK.

Your filing software should automatically tag the amounts using the new ‘Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme income’ or ‘other coronavirus grants’ tags.

More information on calculating taxable profits is available in the Company Tax Return guide.

Additional reporting requirements for coronavirus grants on company tax returns

If you received a CJRS grant and/or an EOHO payment, this will also need to be included in the specific boxes provided on the CT600.

You should:

  • put taxable grants and payments in boxes 471, 472 and 647
  • put CJRS or EOHO overpayments in boxes 473, 474 and 526.

These boxes were added to the CT600 on the 6th of April 2021. If you received a CJRS grant or EOHO payment without completing the relevant boxes, your return may need to be amended.

When to submit an amended return

If you have already filed your Company Tax Return, you will only need to submit an amended return if:

  • you did not declare all coronavirus support payments as taxable income
  • you have CJRS or EOHO overpayments that you need to declare.

If your CJRS or EOHO overpayments have already been repaid to HMRC or have already been assessed by HMRC before the tax return was filed, and there’s no overpayment remaining to be declared, there’s no need to amend the return. More information on this is available in the Company Tax Return guide.

Where can I get further support?

For more information on which support payments to report, how to report them, and what happens if you have claimed too much, you can attend a webinar about how to report COVID-19 taxable grants and payments.

Warning about scams

If someone contacts you saying they’re from HMRC and wants you to transfer money urgently or give personal information, never let yourself be rushed. There are many different types of scam. Some threaten you with immediate arrest for tax evasion, others offer a tax rebate. Do not panic. HMRC will never phone threatening you with arrest, only criminals do that.

Take your time and check HMRC’s advice about scams on GOV.UK before you do anything. You can also phone directly, but make sure you use the contact details on GOV.UK. The National Cyber Security Centre has a helpful guide on how to stay secure online and protect yourself or your business against cyber crime, which you can find at

To find examples of the types of grants or payments you need to include, when and how to include them on your tax return, search ‘reporting coronavirus grants and support’ on GOV.UK.

Help with reporting coronavirus grants on your tax return

If you need help with this or any other aspect of your Self Assessment, Partnership or Corporation Tax contact me now.

Authorisation to discuss SEISS

HMRC will need additional authorisation to discuss SEISS (the Self [...]

Reporting Covid Support grants on your tax return

Do you know what the requirements are in terms of [...]

Reporting SEISS grants on your tax return

Do you know what the requirements are in terms of [...]

Contact me now if you need help with Making Tax Digital