Are you trading with the EU? If your business moves goods between the UK and countries in the EU, you’ll need to follow new customs and tax rules.
Your business will be affected by the new rules if you:
- buy goods from an EU seller and bring them into the UK
- send goods they’ve sold to a buyer in an EU country
- haven’t exchanged money but need to move equipment they use for their business, between the UK and the EU.
This means a lot of changes are needed, but there is support available from HMRC:
SME Brexit Support Fund
You can now apply for the SME Brexit Support Fund. Smaller businesses can get up to £2,000 to pay for practical support, including training or professional advice to adjust to new customs, rules of origin and VAT rules when trading with the EU. Applications must be received before the 30th of June 2021.
You can also attend webinars to help you adjust to the new rules and keep your business moving.
Importing – actions you need to take before making your supplementary declaration: To support those who’ve delayed their customs import declarations.
Register to take part if you have imported goods since 1 January 2021 and not yet completed a customs declaration.
If you are planning to import and you want to understand the full declarations process, please register for Customs Import Declarations: an overview.
Exporting: what you need to do to keep your goods moving: an overview of the actions to take now when exporting goods from Great Britain to the EU and moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Key processes include – zero-rated VAT, customs declarations, using an intermediary as well as licences, certificates, and authorisations.
Please register to take part if you’re planning to export.
Trader responsibilities when using an intermediary: This webinar explains your responsibilities as a trader, if you choose to use an intermediary to complete import or export declarations for your business. These are complex and an intermediary can save a lot of time.
Register to take part if you’re planning to import or export.
Rules of Origin: Watch the recorded webinar if you buy goods from the EU or send or sell goods to the EU for your business, this webinar will help you understand rules of origin and what’s required to meet the rules.
The recorded webinar can be paused or rewound to allow you to work through the information at your own pace.
Other Support if you are Trading with the EU
You can also:
- watch videos on HMRC’s YouTube channel to familiarise yourself with the new customs processes and what you needs to do before trading goods with the EU.
- use the trader checklist on GOV.UK to make sure you’re familiar with the new rules that affect you.
- use the updated guides to understand the new customs and VAT requirements when your business is moving goods between the UK and EU countries
- sign-up to the Trader Support Service if your business is moving goods between GB and Northern Ireland and use their suite of educational products – including online training modules and webinars for support with the Northern Ireland Protocol
- ask and get answers to specific questions about HMRC processes for importing or exporting, by visiting the customer forums
- sign up to email updates on news and information about importing and exporting with the EU, providing hints and tips for businesses like yours to get used to the new rules for importing and exporting.