New guidance on how to claim under the extension of CJRS (Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme) is now available on GOV.UK. To check if you are eligible and to get ready to claim, go to GOV.UK and search ‘Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme’.
You are now able to apply for CJRS online for periods from the 1st of November. You will need to submit any claims for November by the 14th of December.
What’s new in the support available
- CJRS has been extended to 31 March for all parts of the UK. From the 1st of November, the UK Government will pay 80% of employees’ usual wages for the hours not worked, up to a cap of £2,500 per month. The UK Government will review the policy in January 2021.
- Employers and their employees do not need to have used the scheme before to claim for periods from the 1st of November. Go to GOV.UK for full eligibility criteria.
- HMRC intend to publish details of employers who use the scheme for claim periods from December, and employees will be able to find out if their employer has claimed for them under the scheme.
- There are now monthly deadlines for claims. Claims for period on/after the 1st of November must be submitted within 14 calendar days after the month they relate to, unless this falls on a weekend in which case the deadline is the next weekday. For further details go to GOV.UK and search ‘Claim for wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme’.
- The Job Retention Bonus will no longer be paid in February 2021 and an alternative retention incentive will be put in place at the appropriate time.
- The launch of the Job Support Scheme has also been postponed.
What you need to do now
Submit any claims for periods up to the 31st of October on or before the 30th of November. Claims for periods up to the 31st of October will not be accepted after the 30th of November. Claims are subject to eligibility and the rules in force at the time. Search ‘Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme’ on GOV.UK for full eligibility criteria.
What you need to do for your claims – for periods from the 1st of November
- Read the new guidance – go to GOV.UK and search ‘Extension to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme’ – to check if you are eligible.
- Agree working hours with your employees you wish to furlough for November and agree any changes to their employment contact.
- Work out how much you can claim for your employees using our CJRS calculator and examples on GOV.UK.
- Submit any claims for periods from the 1st of November no later than the 14th of December.
Employers will need to keep the records that support the amount of CJRS grant they claim, in case HMRC need to check it. Employers and authorised agents can view, print or download copies of previously submitted claims by logging onto their CJRS service on GOV.UK.
Help and support
If you need more information on how to claim under the extension of CJRS or any aspect of your Payroll contact me now.