The end of this month see CJRS closing and final claims for September must be made by Thursday 14th of October.
Employers can claim 60% of furloughed employees’ usual wages for the hours not worked, up to a cap of £1,875 per month per employee. Yuo’ll need to contribute 20% from your own funds so that furloughed employees continue to be paid at least 80% of their usual wages in total, for the hours they do not work (up to a cap of £2,500 a month).
What you need to do to prepare for CJRS closing:
- prepare for the CJRS closing on 30th of September 2021
- work out how much you can claim, and the contribution you’ll need to make to reach 80% of usual wages, by searching ‘Job Retention Scheme’ on GOV.UK
- submit any claims for September, no later than Thursday 14th October 2021
- keep records supporting the grants you claim
- make sure you continue paying CJRS-related employee tax and National Insurance contributions to HMRC, and contact HMRC if you’re struggling to pay.
Preparing for the CJRS Closing – frequently asked questions
What if I have claimed too much in error?
If you have claimed too much CJRS grant and have not already repaid the overclaimed amount, you can repay as part of your next online claim without needing to call HMRC. If you claimed too much but do not plan to submit further claims, you can let us know and make a repayment online through card payment services or by bank transfer – go to ‘pay Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme grants back’ on GOV.UK.
You must tell HMRC and repay the money by the latest of whichever date below applies:
- 90 days from receiving the CJRS money you’re not entitled to
- 90 days from the point circumstances changed so that you were no longer entitled to keep the CJRS grant.
If you don’t do this, you may have to pay interest and a penalty as well as repaying the excess CJRS grant. Search ‘interest rates for late and early payments’ on GOV.UK.
What if I haven’t claimed enough?
If you made a mistake in your claim that means you received too little money, you’ll need to amend your claim within 28 calendar days after the month the claim relates to – unless this falls on a weekend or bank holiday, where the deadline is the next weekday. The deadline to amend claims for August is Tuesday 28 September.
To find out how, search ‘get help with the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme’ on GOV.UK.
Help and support with CJRS closing
If you need help with CJRS closing or any other aspect of your Payroll contact me now.